About the council
Moretonhampstead Parish Council is the first tier of local government and the one closest to the community, serving Moretonhampstead’s residents, businesses and visitors. The Parish Council operates at a level below the District and County Councils and can help on a number of local issues, such as providing play areas and grants to help local organisations. The Council also maintain the open spaces in Moretonhampstead, such as the Cemetery and the Sentry. Please take a look around; we’d love to hear from you, so please get in touch.
The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
In 2022, Her Majesty The Queen will become the first British Monarch to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee giving seventy years of service to our Country.
Moretonhampstead Parish Council is planning to join the nationwide celebrations and would like to ensure that the whole community is involved in our celebrations.
Our plans include the following elements:
- The Queens Green Canopy – This is a nationwide tree planting initiative created to mark the Platinum Jubilee by inviting people to plant a tree. The Parish Council have planted 7 trees in the Sentry to mark each decade of the Queen’s reign. They will be dedicated during the afternoon of Saturday 4th June during the Carnival’s fun day.
- Platinum Jubilee Beacons – The United Kingdom has a long tradition of celebrating Royal Jubilees with the lighting of the Beacons and this Jubilee is no exception. Arrangements have been made across the UK to light a chain of beacons simultaneously, with inter-visibility (weather permitting!) The Parish Council will light Moreton’s Beacon at Giants Grave on Mardon Down on Thursday 2nd June at approximately 9.45pm. A local piper is providing music from 9pm. There will be refreshments and Harvey’s minibuses are providing transport to and from the beacon site. The bus will depart Court Street Car Park at 8.30pm and 9pm and pick up from Mardon at 10pm and 10.30pm.
- Moreton Makes Memories – The Parish Council would like the whole community to join us in celebrating the Platinum Jubilee on Saturday 4th June. The Parish Council is hosting the following events throughout the day:
- Jubilee Celebrate with Cake – From 10am to 12 noon there will be a coffee morning in the Parish Hall with displays from Moretonhampstead History Society.
- Jubilee Carnival Fun Day – From 11am to 3pm there will be a fun day in the Sentry, including terrier racing, dog show, refreshments, various stalls and cars from the last 7 decades.
- Jubilee Celebratory Service – At 3pm there will be a short thanksgiving service in the Church followed by the tree dedication.
- Jubilee Family Tea – At 4pm on Fore Street there will be a tea party for the benefit mainly of our younger family members.
- Jubilee Knees Up – At 7pm the area will be cleared of tables for a night of dancing. The Dockneys and Panic Pete and the Roughbeats will be providing the music and there will be refreshments available.